Tuesday, November 07, 2006

The Monarchist

Over the weekend Nishla responded to my post at eGullet regarding her accidental discovery. The name for her new cocktail is The Monarchist . She wrote:
I looked into what the term "royalist" means, and generally it's someone who supports a monarchy. In particular, it can refer to supporters of the House of Bourbon, which originally ruled in France (thus, the dry vermouth). Since gin is often associated with Britain, maybe we can call the gin version a Monarchist, which refers to supporters of the British monarchy.
I think that's pretty clever. I checked a few recipe sites and turned up no other cocktails with this name, so The Monarchist it is.



Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home